The kids have been back to school for a month now and while I’m over here loving the quiet time – I’m still thinking of ways to stir things up after school. What better way than snacks? The kid in me is still a snack-a-holic – so here are 5 Fall fun treats that will bring a smile to your kids face (yes – even your teenager!)
1- Apple Pie Popcorn
- 8 cups, non-gmo, popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup dried apple pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans,
- 2 Tbsps grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- Combine the butter, honey and spices together and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Put the popcorn, apples and pecans into a large bowl.
- Cover the popcorn mixture with the butter mixture and toss to combine.
2- Clementine Pumpkins
- clementine oranges, peeled
- 1 stalk of celery
Cut the celery stalk into “pumpkin stems.” Cut a 1-inch piece of celery from the stalk, and slice this lengthwise into thin strips. Place each “stem” into the center of the clementine.
3- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats*
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas, or other seed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup, or honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp oil, coconut or canola
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Spread oats* and quinoa out on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Toast in the oven 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove the oats from the oven, pour the toasted oats into a medium bowl and add the ground flaxseeds, pepitas, pecans and dried fruit.
- Reduce oven to 300° F.
- In a second medium bowl, combine maple syrup, pumpkin puree, oil, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla.
- Pour over oats and stir together with a spatula.
- Spread back onto a baking sheet and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until golden.
4- Apple & Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup chilled applesauce
- 1 ripe banana
- few ice cubes
In a blender, whirl ingredients together. Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
5- Pumpkin Hummus
- 2 can drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 15 ounce pumpkin, canned
- 2 tablespoon Tahini
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add more olive oil if it’s too thick.
- To make it look like a pumpkin, make a green stem using snap peas, cucumbers, lettuce or any other green veggie. Serve with crackers and vegetable!