My favorite cooking season of all! Enjoy these 3 healthy fall recipes and discover some ideas to add to your holiday table!
Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie
1 head garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms (optional)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 medium parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup onion (1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Peel away the dry outer layers of skin from the garlic head, leaving skins and cloves intact. Cut off the pointed top portion (about 1/4 inch), leaving bulb intact but exposing the individual cloves. Place the garlic head, cut side up, in a custard cup. Drizzle with about 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Cover with foil. Roast 25 to 35 minutes or until the cloves feel soft when pressed. Set aside just until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out the garlic paste from individual cloves.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms, carrots, parsnip, and onion. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 to 10 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic paste.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk and flour until smooth; add all at once to mushroom mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken. Divide mixture evenly among four 12-ounce individual casseroles. Set aside.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut phyllo stack into 4 equal rectangles. Place a rectangle on top of the chicken mixture in each casserole.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and phyllo is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Comfort Food: Turkey & Brown Rice Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
2 ½ cups 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped red and/or green bell peppers (2 large)
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
½ cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans 50%-less-sodium beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (see Tip)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 slice Grated Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey, bell peppers, onion, celery and garlic; cook until meat is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain, if needed.
- Stir broth, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, chile peppers and cumin into meat mixture in large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Stir in brown rice. Cook, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes more or until desired consistency. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with Cheddar cheese.
Dessert: Apple Pie Eggrolls
2 tablespoons butter
5 cups diced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 medium)
4 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 pinch Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons lemon juice
8 eaches egg roll wrappers
4 teaspoons coconut oil
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just starting to brown. Add apples, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface with one corner facing you. Lightly brush the edges with water. Place about 1/3 cup of the apple filling in the center. Fold both sides of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in the bottom corner and roll up as tightly as possible. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling. Clean and dry the pan.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a shallow dish and place near the stove. Heat oil in the pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the rolls and cook, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes total. Dredge the hot rolls in the cinnamon-sugar.
Shop this Guide: Décor, Serving,
Kitchen & Table